Sunday, November 27, 2011

Loss

On Friday, Olivia and Griffin lost their Grandpy.

My dad has been sick for a while and living with me since October. We had a wonderful Thanksgiving and we were excited to go to camp on Friday to spend the weekend hanging out in the woods. On Friday morning, my dad went to an appointment and I packed so we would be ready to leave at noon. As soon as I got out to cooler and started packing food, Olivia started losing her mind with excitement. As I usually do, I riled her up further by saying, "who wants to go to camp?!"

At 11:30 I got a phone call letting me know that he'd fallen down a staircase, was unconscious, and in an ambulance on the way to the hospital. I went rushing out the door, leaving the excited dogs behind. My mom went over to my house at 4 to let them out and feed them and they were very unhappy I wasn't home yet. When my best friend dropped off some treats later that evening, Olivia was being super naughty, humping and biting Griffin, throwing a tantrum and generally expressing her displeasure at not being at camp yet.

My dad passed away at 8pm. When I got home 45 minutes later, I think Olivia and Griffin could sense that something was wrong because they were pretty calm. They haven't gotten much attention this weekend, which usually leads my angels to turn into crabby, horrible little beasts, but they've been oddly subdued. Dogs are amazingly perceptive to emotions and I have appreciated it during this difficult weekend.

This is Olivia, trying to bite my dad's feet, while he  attempted to avoid her puppy teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment