Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Statue


A few weeks ago, I was walking though Macy's and nearly fell over from shock when I saw the display for the Thomas Pink Collection. A full sized, pink bulldog statue.

I am not exaggerating- I gasped, clutched my chest and nearly fell over.

I turned to the people I was with and whispered, "I NEED this."

And so began my quest...

First I called that Macy's location and asked for a manager. I explained that I had just been in the store and that I NEEDED to purchase the display bulldog and asked how I could do that. "You're not the first person to call about this" was their response. No doubt! Look at that glorious thing.

She explained that she could take my name, which would get passed onto corporate and when they were done with it, they would call if the statue was available. I gave her my name, but I didn't feel confident that anything was going to happen with that.

I tend to be pretty frugal with my money (unless it involves my dogs and then I throw cash around like a rap star making it rain in the club). I don't buy things I don't need. I don't collect things. I don't have debt. I am reasonable, I budget, I save.  However, I do all of those things so that I can afford to splurge every now and then when I find something I really want (or for when a certain someone has to go to the vet). The pink bulldog statue was the perfect example of that.

My next step was to do some intense googling. I managed to track down the company that makes the statues. It didn't show the price because you had to create an account to log into their site. However, you had to have a business tax ID to create an account because they only sell to businesses. I was desperate to see the price to know if I could just buy one or if I was going to have to try to track down a number to corporate Macy's to plead my case. I put in my camp's tax ID number and created an account. I was in! And the statue was only $120!

Except that the minimum order for anything on their site was $500. I didn't need a case of bulldog statues. So I emailed the owner and explained that I LOVED the statue and NEEDED to own one. I asked if they could tell me where I could buy one retail, if they had any damaged ones that couldn't be sold or what my other options were so that I could buy one. My email was friendly and complimentary (perhaps a little crazy-dog-lady-ish), but I wasn't going to back down and I was prepared to be as obnoxious as necessary.

My resolve wasn't necessary. The owner emailed me back right away and said it was no big deal, they could sell me just one.

And so, just a few weeks later, my beautiful pink ceramic bulldog arrived!

I smile every time I look at it. I am very satisfied with my purchase!
Grif- checking out his new officemate
 









5 comments:

  1. Major kudos to you! I'm glad you were able to get your hands on one. How fun!!!
    I'm also glad I'm not the only one who is dramatic in public places. Or obsessed with all things Bulldog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is tenacity girl! Just like a bulldog. That statue does rock and every bulldog owner should have one! That kind of bullie is low maintenance for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is what I love about you and why I feel you need to be President one day...shit would get done.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could you please send me the name of the company as well?? I've been trying to find these for MONTHS & MONTHS ever since the Pink store in NYC had them displayed!! I NEED one as well!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, sorry, I just saw your comment. The company is Orlandi- http://www.orlandistatuary.com/products/bulldog-17-glossy-colors. Email them directly and they will sell you just one statue. You don't have to buy in bulk or be a business.

      Delete